High CPU Usage in script that consumes response body

I am testing an API that performs complex computations on customer specific data sets interactively. I have designed a generic script that is able to emulate realistic and individualized user requests using a pseudo-randomized approach. Since requests are not pre-generated this script parses the full response body for each request. On top of that I am using our TypeScript Client SDK in the script to interact with the API. This is naturally a slightly more heavy process than just playing back requests, but on the other hand the primary benefit of K6 is that its programmable. The script sleeps for 1s after sending a request ( because its emulating interactive user behavior ) which I would have hoped would give plenty of time for the load generator to catch a breath.

The final transpiled script is ~1.2 MB. Response bodies can be on the order of 250-300kb (for this particular example, other data sets can go as high as a few MB).

When I run locally, my desktop can easily support for example 30 VUs (using ~10% CPU on a 16 core 5950x and 1.1gb RAM for the k6 process).

If I try the same script in the cloud the load generator only manages to send 1/3 (!) of the requests that my desktop PC sends (greatly skewing results), and I see complaints about CPU usage:

The first spike to 100% occurs already at 5 VUs and at 6+ VUs its stuck at 100% for the remainder :frowning: I have tried running with the “base” JS compatibility mode, but it does not help.

I assume the problem is that k6 is assuming much more light weight VUs and are allocating too little CPU (and memory)? Is there any way to change this?

If not, are there any things I should try before using our own hardware for load generation instead? Is the problem most like to be the script size, the response size or the little bit of CPU usage for processing a response? (json deserialization seems to avg at 5ms in the cloud (0ms on my desktop), and the bit of logic I have is maybe 2ms).

Hey @ptconfigit Welcome to the forum!

Looking from the data I have available over here, I would say that you are correct in your assumption. You are hitting a hardware limit on the load generator instance. On the cloud side, we use three different tiers of servers depending on the number of load zones and VUs in your test run. (more info here).

As we mention in the above article, generally speaking, you will have roughly the same amount of resources/VU available to you regardless of the server size and they won’t be on par with your 16 core high-end desktop processor unfortunately.

Just so you’d be able to get a clearer picture on the hardware we use, they are M5 EC2 instances from AWS, and you can see the different tiers here.

With that being said, there are some instance customizations available, but only for Enterprise and Custom annual plans at this time. In case you would like more info, you can reach out to our sales team (sales@k6.io).

Best,

Viktor