Regarding Load zone

Hi - I understand k6 cloud offers 17 load zones where we can simulate load from. My question is, If I want to simulate the load from different region/zone other than those 17 zones, what are the steps I need to do?

Lets assume I have a script in my laptop and wanted to run with 100 users load from South Africa.

1. Should I install any software (like k6) or any load agents in the machine located at South Africa?
  2. If I want to run the same script via pipeline and load should generate from South Africa, what should I do?
  3. How do I include that load generator in my script? In below code, what exactly I need write?
    ext: {
    loadimpact: {
    distribution: {
    “amazon:in:mumbai”: { loadZone: “amazon:in:mumbai”, percent: 100 },
    },
    },
    }

Thanks for helping me.

Hi @satheeshpandianj

I don’t think there is a quick solution for this within k6 cloud specifically :thinking:

If you’re located in South Africa yourself, then you can run that script directly with k6 OSS solution from your laptop (without VPNs) and it will match the criteria.

Otherwise, you’ll need a server in South Africa where you can run k6 with your script. It seems like Amazon has availability zone for Cape Town too: Global Infrastructure Regions & AZs So EC2 instance in that zone would work as well.

Thanks @olha . So I need to find a server and install K6 on it will be sufficient to simulate the load from the server, though I am in India. In that case, what value I need to pass in the script?

ext: {
loadimpact: {
distribution: {
“amazon:in:mumbai”: { loadZone: “amazon:in:mumbai”, percent: 100 },
},
},
}

You can remove ext{...} completely :slight_smile: Since this will be a k6 run... and not a k6 cloud..., this part of options can simply be omitted: options for load zone distribution matter only in cloud execution.

Thank you @olha for your quick answer