Streaming k6 test results to AWS DB (Timestream)

Hi,

I wasn’t sure if to post this here but here goes:

The tool currently supports several data sources for streaming test results, including InfluxDB. Are there any plans to support sending data to AWS Timestream natively? If not, can you please point me to resources or relevant personnel that can make this happen?

Hi @theo,
welcome to the community forum :tada:

There isn’t any plan at the moment to directly support AWS Timestream in the k6 OSS core. Your case is exactly why the xk6 project exists enabling the ability to create extensions for k6.

We have a guide regarding creating a new Output extension in the documentation. You can follow and be inspired by some of the other similar projects created by the community. GitHub - grafana/xk6-output-timescaledb: k6 extension to output real-time test metrics to TimescaleDB. and more here.

Let me know if it helps. :wave:

Thanks for the response, @codebien. I’ll take a look at the resources you provided.

The only downside I see right now is creating extensions requires knowledge of the Go programming language.

Do you also have any AWS specific examples?

Do you also have any AWS specific examples?

Unfortunately, I don’t have one in mind but you don’t need to do something more complex of what these bunch of lines are doing in the influxdb-output. The process is: you get the buffered samples, convert them into the expected format in terms of data points then send them to the AWS API.

Hey,

I’ve created a timestream K6 extension here: GitHub - leonyork/xk6-output-timestream: Output metrics from K6 to AWS Timestream. Feel free to raise any issues on GitHub and let me know how it goes if you use it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes