Xk6 disruptor extension doubt

Hi @pablochacin I have one doubt regarding this disruptor. No where am getting how the disruptor will communicate with kubernetes cluster .

Suppose i have the code ready in my local with disruptor binery . But what changes i need to do on [ cluster side/ in my local ] so that disruptor can inject the agent in the pod/service level without any issues ?

When i say changes …i read it somewhere it was written credentials in kubeconfig file …but kubeconfig file will be in cluster and even if i have credentails to acess the cluster , where to use those credentials?

Hi @Shabd

Pablo Chacin is still out for the holidays, I’ll try to reach out to him next week.

I understand your doubts come from the blog: Fault injection testing a microservices application with xk6-disruptor and the requirements page.

xk6-disruptor needs to interact with the Kubernetes cluster on which the application is running. In order to do so, you must have the credentials to access the cluster in a kubeconfig file. Ensure this file is pointed to by the KUBECONFIG environment variable or it is located at the default location (in Linux based systems, it is $HOME/.kube/config). For this tutorial you will also need kubectl installed in your test environment.

Do you have kubectl installed locally configured against the kubernetes cluster you want to run the tests in? If so, I believe the KUBECONFIG variable will already be configured for the disruptor.

Have you tried that? Or you don’t use kubectl?

If you are still unclear how to proceed let me know and I’ll reach out to Pablo next week (if I can’t test this myself, I haven’t had time yet to test the disruptor).

Cheers!

Hi @eyeveebe Thanks for the reply . You are right , i referred the above documentation and also i successfully checked the chaos setup in my local . but in real world app would be running in a cluster where we will need permission to connect and all …there i got confused as to what the proper steps would be , in that condition.

However currently i dont have any such setup , but i was curious if such a situation arises , where the app is running a kubernetes cluster and i have to test from my local …what steps i would need to follow so that my local can successfully connect to that app under that kubernetes cluster.

Hi @Shabd In order to use the disruptor you only need credentials to access to the cluster where the application is running. How you get this credentials depends on your environment. In most organizations you must ask your platform team for this access. If your organization is using a cloud managed cluster (for instance, Amazon EKS or Google GKE) then maybe you can get the credentials by login into the cloud platform and then downloading the kubeconfig file for the cluster you want to access.

Unfortunately, there are too may usage scenarios so there is no standard procedure we can help you with.

Regards

2 Likes

Thanks @pablochacin . Will try that and revert/post query if will face any issues

1 Like